I shared on facebook what our flight was like and after that experience I am not so sure if we will make it back to WI this Christmas. Unless I find a good Doctor that will drug Connor up for the flight. It was a little funny though once he calmed down he was having great fun, until the seat belt sign came on then he was back to thinking we were going to crash. But we made it in one piece, a little worse for ware and one nintendo DS missing, but in one piece.
Getting through customs and immigration in Seoul was a piece of cake, by the time the kids went to the loo, rode all the moving walkways and we caught the train to immigrations there was no line, our bags were waiting for us. Once through the doors one of the lovely business staff from Korea International school was there to take us back to our new apartment.
| My Street. |
| the pirate across the road that Olivia has to say hello to everyday. |
If something goes wrong services are so quick, no waiting around for telstra or the plumber to turn up somewhere between 9 am Mon and 5pm Fri, you call and they come. When we arrived the internet was not working, Art called the school, they had a tech from the internet company straight here. Same when one of the kids locked the bathroom door and we could not open it someone was here within half and hour of Art calling.
The park around the block is fantastic, I think we have been there at least once a day. It has a sports area, exercise machine and water fountain and the usual park equipment. Olivia looks like no-one owns her every time we go there. We step outside the door, we all start to sweat and Olivia hair just turns into one big knotted mess. Still the Korean people think she is cute and all want to come and say hello. I have found we have to relax the whole dont take candy from strangers rule, because we would start to offend a whole heap of people that seem to think the kids are cute and give them a piece of candy.
I have started to get brave and venture out on my own to catch buses, and have returned home both times without getting lost. I have caught the bus a couple of times to our local Emart, shopped up big then caught a taxi home. I have not figured out their delivery service yet, so I have just paid the extremely cheap $3.50 to catch a taxi home. Thanks again to the great business staff at the school who made us up little card in Korean with our address so we can just hand it to the taxi driver and they put it in the gps and I get home.
I think anyone that drives in Seoul has to be a way better driver than me, at the moment the freeways don't seem extremely scary its the local streets around my apartment that scares the crap out of me. The streets are not wide at all and there are cars park all the way down both sides, on the sidewalks around the intersection, IT'S CRAZY!!! Then you have to watch out for all the delivery scooters from all the surrounding restaurants. When crossing the road, I cant just look left and right I have to look in every direction because the cars don't stay on their side of the road, and I cant really tell who has to give away to who. They all seem really patient as the weaving in and out of each other, I think I wont be rushing to drive yet.
Although we have lots of places to go eat we have all been tired and grumpy by dinner time so we have not eaten out yet. On the couple of nights we have not cooked we have so cheated and gone for more western take out, just for ease of ordering sake. Art has still had to play the mime game to order food, or have someone in the store that speaks English take pity on him (or the shop owner) and help him order. The pizza was really good and great service, Art ordered then took a seat. One of the delivery drivers brought him a glass of water for while he waited. The pizza was ready super quick, not like they 20mins (1hour plus) at the Tav. When Art was handed the two pizza's they were tied together with a big ribbon and a bow. Takeaway food has been pretty cheap, when we have been out for lunch and the couple of western meals have been reasonably priced. My favorite has been the plate full of YUMMY dumplings for $2.50. I only got 2 then Connor who said he was not hungry and did not want anything ate the rest.
| I love the shampoo we got Molly, the label says it will "enhance the dignity of the puppy" |
Molly arrived today, so the kids are happy. Poor Art had a six hour trip to the airport to pick her up. He had to go to six different buildings to get her all signed off but she is back with us now. Wondering what her new look might be when we take her to the dog groomers, we have seen some cute little dogs with some interesting hair styles around. Fur died and all, not sure if Connor is too keen on us getting Molly's fur died.
Anyway that is all I can think of for our first week. Night, night.



No comments:
Post a Comment